While the rest of the country experiences storms that are the prelude to long, cold winters, we’re luxuriating in day after day of warm, sunny weather. Temperatures may reach the 70s during the day, but they’re dipping into the 40s at night. The seasons have changed, and the holidays have snuck up on us once again.
Decorating for the holidays translates to lights
We all love the lights that help usher in the season. But both business and home owners these days are concerned with saving energy. Those homes with the lavish light displays are very literally paying the price for their display of holiday cheer.
Make this the year you replace your lights with ENERGY STAR
We’ve talked about ENERGY STAR in previous blogs. Earning the ENERGY STAR certification means the product meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the EPA. While you’ll save money on your utility bills, you’ll also help protect the environment, reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Some advantages of ENERGY STAR lights:
- Use 75% less energy than conventional incandescent lights strands.
- Can last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent strands, meaning fewer light string replacements.
- Cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire.
- No moving parts, filaments or glass, so they are much more durable and shock-resistant than other light strings.
- Available in a variety of colors, shapes and lengths.
- Come with a 3-year warranty.
- Independently tested to meet strict lifetime and electrical requirements.
- Labeled for outdoor use are subjected to weathering tests.
- Some models deliver features such as dimming or color shifting.
- Provide the latest features and functionalities such as dimming and color shifting.
Save even more energy with LED lights!
Light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, are small light sources that are illuminated by the movement of electrons—this is semiconductor technology. LED’s quality and variety has increased dramatically in just a short time, making it the lighting of choice for virtually all of Roberts Electric’s residential and commercial projects these days.
- LEDs are exceptionally energy-efficient, many using up to 90% less energy than an incandescent bulb to produce the same amount of light.
- The amount of electricity consumed by just one 7-watt incandescent bulb could power 140 LEDs — enough to light two 24-foot (7.3-meter) strings.
- Something you’ll really love—LED lights for regular use in a home or business can last up to 10 years. The life expectancy of a string of holiday lights that you use for one month each year? Let’s just say that investing in a string of LED lights is a very sound investment in holiday lights!
We just did some googling, and LED holiday lights are surprisingly affordable and widely available at all of the big-box hardware stores and Target. We also found an online store, LED Holiday Lighting, that has a huge assortment of lights in a wide range of colors and configurations.
Questions about saving energy in your home or office with LED lighting? Call Roberts Electric @ 510.834.6161.